Exiting a workspace isn’t a straightforward process in Slack. For some reason, Slack refers to leaving a workspace as deactivating your account, which is a little confusing but means the same thing.
Slack is one of the best tools for business communications, but it may get a little complex if you have a lot of different workspaces. It is possible to tidy up Slack by deleting all of your inactive workspaces.
Contact the workspace owner or administrator to rejoin a previously left Slack Workspace; you can only return if the admin invites you back after you’ve left. Another alternative is to sign out of your workplace. You will continue to get tagged in conversations, but you will not receive any workplace notifications.
Also Read: How to Make a Slack Channel Private
The following happens when you leave a Slack workspace:
- None of the messages or files you sent will be able to be deleted.
- The apps you installed in Slack will be disabled, but they can be activated again by the owner.
- Leaving one workspace does not affect other workspaces you are active in.
- Your information will not be removed (including name, photo, email, or job title). If you don’t want it there, contact the workspace owner and ask for your account to be removed.
- If you’re the workspace’s primary owner, you can only leave once you’ve transferred ownership to someone else.
How to Leave a Slack Workspace
The following is a step-by-step guide to leaving a Slack workspace:
1.First, select the workspace you want to leave in the Slack app on your desktop.
2. Next, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the page.
3. Following that, a drop-down menu will be available. Choose Profile from the drop-down menu.
4. After that, select More from the drop-down menu when a panel appears.
5. Furthermore, a new tab will open in your default browser. Go to the Settings option.
6. Then, scroll down until you see the option to “Deactivate Account.” Make sure you read both the description and the warning notice.
7. You’ll get a warning asking for your confirmation if you really want to go ahead to delete your account. If you’re sure, click “Yes, Deactivate My Account”
8. Finally, a notification will appear asking whether you are certain you want to deactivate your account. Select “Yes, I want to deactivate my account” from the drop-down menu.
Slack workspaces are large groups created by a person or an organization for a specific purpose. Since it’s created with specific people in mind, you can’t just enter and exit a workspace at will. Yes, you can deactivate your account in a Slack workspace anytime as an end-user, but you cannot reactivate it as you wish- an admin or the workspace owner needs to let you back in.
If you’re not able to contact an administrator to remove you from the workspace, you can deactivate your account using the steps outlined above.