Are you wondering how to overclock your computer’s CPU? If yes, this article is for you.
Overclocking is a process that increases the speed of your CPU for better functionality. It enables your processor to run at a higher speed than normal. You should overclock your CPU if you want to improve the general performance of your processing unit and have a better gaming experience.
Stick to the end of this article as it will work you through the steps involved in carrying out this process.
Follow the steps below to overclock your CPU.
1. Check the temperature of your CPU
Overclocking generally increases the temperature of your CPU so, before starting the process, it is important to check the temperature of your CPU and ensure it is not too high. Here is how to go about it:
- Download and install the core temperature app or CPU heat monitoring tool.
- Next, open the app and go to the dashboard, scroll down to temperature readings and monitor the temperature for each CPU core.
- Next, check the maximum column to monitor the highest temperature of the processor.
- Finally, check the current CPU load for each core on the load column.
2. Run a stress test
After checking the core temperature of your CPU, the next thing to do is to run a stress test on your system’s CPU. Here is how:
- Close all programs on your taskbar and restart your PC. After this, check your CPU’s temperature.
- Next, download a prime 95 tool to enable you to run a stress check on your system.
- After downloading the Prime 95 tool, choose a suitable option for your PC.
- Next, open the program and click on “Just stress testing”
- Select the “blend” option and click on “OK”
- The test will start, make sure to monitor the temperature of your hardware so it won’t overheat.
- The test takes about one to two hours to complete and when it’s complete, the result will show the stability of your system and tell if it’s safe to overclock your CPU.
Related: How to Fix Low Frame Rate.
3. Check your CPU performance
The next step is to check your CPU’s performance. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Go to your taskbar, right-click on it, and scroll down to select the “Task Manager” option.
- Next, click on the “Performance” tab and select “CPU”. The speed and name of your system’s CPU will then display.
4 Access your CPU BIOS
BIOS, an acronym for Basic Input and Output System is another program you need to access so you can check your computer’s settings. Here is how to do it:
- Put off your computer and turn it on afterward.
- Next, press the f2 key continuously to set up and enter your PC’s BIOS control.
- After this, overclocking options or settings will display. Select the “automatic or manual” overclocking option and increase the CPU multiplier to increase the overclocking speed.
Ensure to monitor the process and increase the multiplier gradually. Also, if your PC becomes unstable, you can increase your CPU’s voltage setting in your BIOS control.
Read Next: How to Play Roblox.