Are you wondering how to reset your iPhone to factory settings? If yes, this article will walk you through the steps (with screenshots) if you ever need to:
- Restore your iPhone’s Settings
- Delete all your files and contacts on your iPhone
- Fix a software-related issue on your device
- Sell your iPhone or you just bought a second-hand iPhone whose files and data was not deleted.
A factory reset will make you lose your installed apps, media (music, photos, videos, and documents), contacts, etc. It reverts your iPhone to the initial state it was as set in the manufacturing factory.
Before resetting your iPhone to factory settings, ensure you backup your device’s data and files. By so doing, you can restore them later and avoid losing your data.
You can back up your iPhone data with your iCloud, Mac, or Windows computer, depending on your preference.
Related: How to Share Google Calendar on iPhone.
How to Back Up your iPhone with iCloud
To back up your iPhone data and files manually with Apple iCloud, take the following steps without any exceptions:
- Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network
- Then open your iPhone’s Settings
- Tap on your name, which is the first option in Settings
- Tap on iCloud and then iCloud Backup
- Tap Back Up Now to begin the process and it’s free. (While the backup is still in process, do not turn off your Wi-Fi so you won’t disrupt the process. Once completed, you’ll see the date and time you initiated the last update in the Back Up Noe section of your iPhone’s Settings.)
If you were alerted of insufficient iCloud storage during the backup, you’ll have to buy more storage space by following the instructions below.
- Open Settings and then the first option in Settings, which is your name
- Tap on iCloud
- Select Manage Account Storage or Manage Storage in the iCloud section. Alternatively, scroll down and tap on Upgrade to iCloud+.
- Tap on Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
- Choose from the available plans
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the upgrade successfully.
How to Reset your iPhone to Factory Settings
To reset your iPhone to factory settings, take the following steps one after the other, regardless of your device’s model:
- Launch your iPhone’s Settings app
- Tap on General
- Select Transfer or Reset
- Tap on Erase All Content and Settings
- Either input your Apple ID password or tap on Forgot your passcode when asked to enter your password.
- Confirm your request to erase your device. (You’ll have to wait a few minutes to complete this process.) If you use an eSIM on your iPhone, you can decide to erase or keep it. Supposing you erase your eSIM, you will have to contact your carrier for reactivation.
Note that the above steps works for all iPhone models, including Apple iPads and iPod Touch devices.
How Do I Factory Reset my Locked iPhone?
Follow the instructions below to factory reset a locked iPhone without hassles:
- Visit iCloud.com on a computer and sign in with the locked iPhone’s Apple ID and password
- When signed in, click on Find iPhone among the options.
- Click on All Devices and select the locked iPhone.
- Click on Erase iPhone to initiate the factory reset.
Does Factory Resetting on an iPhone Delete Everything?
Yes, a factory reset on your iPhone will delete all your files and contacts. It reverts your phone to its initial state it was when purchased and unused: Aside from losing your files, you will also lose your personal information and preferred settings.
Will a Factory Reset Delete my iCloud?
No, you will not lose your iCloud account or its content if you initiate a factory reset on an Apple device. We highly recommend backing up your iCloud before undertaking the steps for a factory reset. Note that you must sign in to your iCloud again after the reset to restore your backup.
Can I Factory Reset my iPhone without my Apple ID and Password?
Yes, there are a few ways you can factory reset an iPhone if you forgot your Apple ID or its password. You can set your iPhone to Recovery Mode and use the iTunes app on your computer/Mac to reset your device without your Apple ID login details.
Another way is to use the Stellar iPhone Eraser software.
Do not hesitate to contact Apple Support if you experience any issues trying to reset your iPhone or restore your iCloud backup. You may also comment your thoughts below and share this post on various social media platforms.
Also Read: iPhone 15 vs 15 Pro Review.